Monday, November 19, 2007

Tool users

We have a local gang of crows that hang out in our area. There must be good pickings, because they are around the same areas around the same time of day, every day.

It's pecan season now, and the crows love pecans. I watch them scoot along the phone wires that cross the alley out back with pecans in their beaks. When a car enters the alley, they drop the nut hoping it will be crushed under the wheels for an effortless meal.

I see them carrying pecans all the time, but when they drop them, it's always on the roads. Never the sidewalk, grass, or on rooftops.

I was walking in the alley today and a crow dropped a pecan trying for an SUV hit. It rolled to the side by the fence and was missed completely by the vehicle. While the crow still watched from his perch, I moved the pecan to the middle of the road and smashed it underfoot. He waited until I was out of the alley before he swooped to pick at the nut.

If I do that every time I see them doing the car trick, I wonder if they will learn to drop nuts in front of people as well.

No comments: