Wednesday, December 19, 2007

knitting in the post office

My printer is down, so I am forced to go stand in the xmas lines at the post office to send out ebay packages. To ease the pain, I bring my knitting. I dont' have to look at people, I have no idea how much time passes, and I get to focus on getting several more rows done without other leisurely tempations around, like food and video games (am loving Mass Effect).

Today I was in line and there was a man n' woman in front of me, dressed in white. From her platinum hair and rhinestone 'bebe' cap, to his shock of grey hair and weird sleeveless parka vest (that made him look like his arms and head were protruding from a giant marshmallow), they were a vision of winter in LA.

She had turned slightly to see me, and was using a low voice so I thought she was talking to her guy. But I glanced up and she caught my eye, repeating 'what a good idea, bringing that along'. I said it was easier to focus on than reading when in line, and asked if she knit. She said she just started and is working on a scarf, but won't have it done for xmas because she has no idea how to finish it. We did a mini workshop right there and I showed her how to cast-off. Then they were called to the next window and we smiled and separated.

Then the older lady behind me piped up with 'My husband use to knit', and I spent the rest of the time in line hearing a delightful little story about her husband's exquisite seamless sweaters and his attempts to teach her how to knit.

I had avoided going to the post office for most of the day, because it's usually such a chore. But it was downright pleasant today.

No comments: