Monday, January 14, 2008

Punch up and tweak chocolate chip cookies

The standard recipe for Nestles chocolate chip cookies (the one on the back of every bag) is too greasy, sweet and bland for me. I find I'm always trying to adjust it. I have a more European than American palate, which means more flavors and less overpowering fat and sugar. Most american candy is just too slap in the face sugary for me. I need caramelization, salt, citrus, nuts or something else in the mix.

Brown Sugar
I never use brown sugar. It's 3 times the cost of regular sugar, and all it is is white sugar with a few drops of molasses added to it. I'm not talking about the fancy 7x more expensive specialty brown sugars (which I think is equally ridiculous), just C&H. How can you check? Put a pinch of brown sugar in your palm and rub your finger against it. In a few seconds your palm will have molasses on it, and there will be plain white sugar crystals on top of it. Rip Off!

Just add a teaspoon or 2 to to a recipe that calls for 'light' or 'dark' brown sugar. Molasses keeps forever (as opposed to brown sugar which goes rock hard after a couple months), and can be used to liven up the flavor on myriad recipes from sweet to savory.

My newest cookie recipe tweak.

Carribean Coffee Chocolate Chip Cookies

cream:
1.5 sticks butter
1.5 cups sugar
2 T molasses

Add:
2 eggs - 1 at a time
1 t vanilla
2 T espresso or coffee concentrate (I always have some coffee toddy in the fridge)

Mix together, then stir into liquid in 3 parts:
1 t fine sea salt
1 t baking soda
1/2 c cocoa powder
1 c whole wheat flour
1 c white unbleached flour

Stir in:
1-2 c chocolate chips ( lately I like Guittards bittersweet, the large flat chips are a nice change in texture) depending on your chocolate craving.

Dollop onto parchment and bake at 350 for 10-12 min until slightly firm to the touch. They are not radically different, but they don't leave a greasy slick in your milk when you dip them, and they have a nice depth from the interaction of the molasses, cocoa and coffee.

I like to freeze the dough in a long roll and wrap it in plastic wrap. Then I can take it out, cut as many cookies off of it as I want, and bake a single sheet of them. Fresh cookies whenever I want, and only as many as I need.

No comments: