Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Runners lung, button pushing

I love that clear feeling you get when you run, when your nose gets sensitive from, well, I don't know what. When I ran into Trader Joe's today, I could smell every person, whether it was normal person smell, cologne/perfume, if they were smokers, old people, or someone who had very young kids (little ones have that baby smell, even of their parents don't use baby powdery products).

I have this pet peeve about cross walk buttons. Whenever I see someone repeatedly hitting it, clank, clank, taptaptap, bang bang bang, I imagine throttling them. Since I know that they are brainless, and telling them that pushing the button more won't make the light change any faster, all I can do is wish them death caused by their ignorance. I think that most people spend their day going through motions, completely thought free. Like animals. They eat, shit, sleep, and never think 'it looks like rain', 'it's gorgeous today', 'I wonder why I've hit this button 50 times and am looking blankly at the sign waiting for it to change'.

The skies above Glendale have been moody all day. Short breaks of sunlight and brilliant blueness come out every couple hours from behind dark grey expectant clouds. It feels like it should pour any minute. And during my half hour jog, it seemed like every 20th car wasn't paying attention. They were on cell phones, running lights, not going when the light changed, stopping well inside the pedestrian walk. People were honking at the idjuts who were off on another planet. Don't know if it's the weather, but I've run that route many times and it was never so filled with space cadets.

Be careful out there on the roads.

No comments: