Friday, February 1, 2008

Thing a day 1 - King Cakes for Party

I of course missed the signup window for Thing-a-day, so I'll be doing it myself. Sour grapes to you for only giving me a couple days to sign up.

Today I made 2 King Cakes, first time I've ever attempted them. Brioche dough with lemon zest. The large one is plain, the smaller one is more dense and has a marzipan filling.

This is how the first one looked when it first came out. A very soft dough, I needed the bowl to make it hold it's shape. It was sticky and unwieldy to work.


The second one had more flour, and I altered the liquid a little, making it easier to knead, and stiffer once risen. The glass jars between the two breads are cooling Meyer Lemon Marmalade. We'll see how they set up after being in the jar for a day or so.

Below - The King Cakes with sugar and icing (traditional design of gold, purple and green sugars) and ready to go to the party.

No comments: